Are you ready for 'The Cas Community Challenge'?
Posted: Monday 25th January 2021 - 12:00 PM
Castleford Tigers Foundation have joined forces with local school Castleford Academy, to launch a unique health, well-being and activity-based challenge.
The ‘Cas Community Challenge’ was originally a task set by the school for their students to run, jog, walk, or cycle as far as they could, with the aim of covering the total distance for the Tigers ‘away fixture’ journeys to their Super League opponents in 2021!
As a result of its initial popularity, the challenge has been opened up to the wider ‘Five Towns’ community and beyond and will run throughout lockdown to offer a unique way to support citizens with wellbeing-boosting exercises and help them in staying physically active at what is a challenging time for many people.
People can join the challenge here via the Strava fitness app (free to download) and log their distances to see how far they can go! There are prizes for the top-achieving students but also simply for taking part in the challenge. To enter, participants simply have to share a picture of themselves being out and physically active along with the hashtag, #CasCommunityChallenge.
As ever, please remember to exercise in accordance with the latest government Covid-19 guidelines and be sure to pay attention to the following safety tips when logging those distances!
- Always tell someone your intended route and your expected return time.
- Only exercise during daylight hours.
- Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Keep to the pavement wherever possible while running/walking/jogging alongside roads.
- Try and exercise with a family member. If you are meeting someone from another household to complete the exercise, you must stay 2m apart.
- Please remember to exercise in accordance with the latest government Covid-19 guideline
When sharing distances on Strava or social media, consider the following safety tips:
- Parents/Guardians must give you permission to download the Strava app or twitter and to post any pictures (students can email their PE teacher their progress instead).
- Parents/Guardians must give you permission to leave your house for exercise. If you are unable to do so, complete the task in your garden, recording a rough distance.
- If using Strava - Go in 'Settings' - 'Privacy Control' - 'Privacy Zones'. Set a 1km radius around your house to hide your house location.
- If using Twitter - Do not use your full name. First name and last initial only, eg, 'John S'
Ryan Lloyd, Head of PE at Castleford Academy, said:
“Our challenge is open to everyone, especially the students and staff of Castleford Academy, but we’d like the whole Castleford community to get behind it. The objective of this is to get out, get active, and keep fit during this lockdown period. We want as many people as possible to have a go, and most importantly, enjoy it!”