Castleford downed by Hull again

Posted: Sunday 18th October 2020 - 4:48 PM

It was Cas’ first outing since a narrow defeat to the same opponents a fortnight ago after positive COVID-19 tests in the camp saw last week’s fixture against Leeds postponed, but this time the Black and Whites were far too powerful on home soil as they ran out comfortable winners.

For the Tigers, they looked to spread the ball regularly against a physically bigger Hull side, with half backs Jake Trueman and Danny Richardson back in the side from injury and combining for the first time since August, but their side lacked the clinical edge to really threaten FC and in truth were always chasing the game following a disastrous start to the contest.

It came from an early error with practically their first touch of the game and it saw Hull dominate possession in the opening 10 minutes, posting two tries. Winger Ratu Naulago opened the scoring by getting up above debutant Brad Graham to touch down Jake Connor’s kick, the Cas academy centre getting caught under the ball in an unfamiliar position on the wing as he was given a tough start to his Betfred Super League career.

Hull made it back-to-back scores when Andre Savelio burst through some poor defence following two more consecutive sets but Cas did manage to stem the tide as they worked their way into the game, with Trueman at the heart of it. It was his break that teed up skipper Michael Shenton but his pass was behind the supporting Graham as a clear-cut chance went begging, whilst the 18-year-old found space in front of him again shortly afterwards but Trueman’s attempted chip was just too strong under pressure.

However, despite creating openings with ball-in-hand, the Tigers looked unable to handle Hull’s power and kicking game and the Airlie Birds posted two more tries when they established more field position, Connor and Bureta Faraimo capitalising on further aerial bombardments to make it 24-0 at the break.

The second half began in much the same way that large portions of the opening 40 minutes had been spent, with Cas in decent positions without really looking like finding a way over the try line. Again, in similar fashion, Hull punished them as Naulago collected a kick inside his own 10 and raced the length of the field for his side’s fifth score of the afternoon.

Naulago had another score ruled out for a forward pass whilst Cas’ chances of least taking some positive moments from the contest were further hampered when Gareth O’Brien was forced from the field after a collision with the advertising hoardings, Jack Sanderson then moving to full back and unfortunately coming up with an error in his own red zone that set the territory for Hull captain Danny Houghton to cross untouched.

The Tigers did at least manage a late consolation when Jacques O’Neill burrowed over from dummy half, Richardson adding the extras, but there was still time for further scores from Carlos Tuimavave and Manu Ma’u in the final five minutes to round off a miserable day for Daryl Powell’s men.


Full Time: Hull FC 48-6 Castleford Tigers


Hull FC

Shaul, Naulago, Tuimavave, Griffin, Faraimo, Connor, Sneyd, Bowden, Johnstone, Sao, Ma’u, Savelio, Cator


Satae, Fash, Brown, Houghton

Tries: Naulago (2), Savelio, Connor, Faraimo, Houghton, Tuimavave, Ma’u

Conversions: Sneyd (7/7), Connor (1/1)

Castleford Tigers

O’Brien, Sanderson, Foster, Shenton, Graham, Trueman, Richardson, Massey, McShane, Hepi, Blair, McMeeken, Milner


Millington, Sene-Lefao, O’Neill, Cook

Tries: O’Neill

Conversions: Richardson (1/1)



*Match report by Matt Holden

**Photography by Melanie Allatt.

Share this article: