Tigers Academy season ends on a win

Posted: Saturday 7th September 2019 - 9:56 PM

The game commenced with both sides testing each other out until the first penalty was awarded to Castleford for a ball steal. This allowed them to pressure Warrington and on six minutes, after a jinking cross-field run by Jake Sweeting, Lewis Peachey crashed over under the posts with three men vainly hanging on. Jake Sweeting added an easy conversion.

Shortly after, Ninian Donnelly put in a good run which came to nothing as the attack broke down. Castleford continued the pressure though and Jake Sweeting forced a goal-line dropout. At this stage both Ninian Donnelly and Lewis Peachey were prominent with strong driving in of the ball. The boys forced a good set where Joe Summers was held up twice over the line. From there, a long Jake Sweeting pass put winger Jacob Doyle over in the corner but it was called back for a forward pass. Happily, this didn’t matter as moments later a move with Jake Sweeting again prominent led to Robbie Storey muscling his way over near the posts. Jake Sweeting was again successful with the conversion.

Warrington pressed straight from the kick-off when Castleford failed to take the high ball and gave away an offside penalty. However, Warrington wing Reece Hamlett couldn’t take a difficult pass and Castleford gained a relieving scrum. From there, they worked up-field where Robbie Storey was again on hand to burrow past two defenders and give Castleford a 16-0 lead. Jake Sweeting surprisingly missed the conversion.

Castleford were enjoying the majority of possession and some strong running was giving Warrington plenty to think about. Even so, when called for, the defence in turn was resolute. Warrington did catch Castleford napping though when a short kick through was allowed to bobble long enough for George Roby to get a hand to it for a touchdown. Riley Dean added the easy extras from under the sticks.

Castleford went back up-field thanks to a Lewis Carr break down the middle and pass which led to a penalty for Warrington holding on. Jake Sweeting added a successful goal with four minutes to half time, which came with Castleford leading 18-6.

Warrington came out with much more intent and had a try disallowed for offside from another kick that caused Castleford trouble. They shrugged it off though and went to the other end with Ninian Donnelly again showing good go-forward. From the position, Jake Sweeting jinked inside the defence for a well taken try, but his conversion attempt hit the post.

During the first set of six from the restart Castleford made an error. The resulting scrum allowed Warrington to work a position where Karlton Bates thrust over under the posts past two tacklers. Riley Dean added the goal. Warrington came more into it now and a dangerous attack was only defused by a wayward pass into touch with the try-line close. A good Castleford break led to nothing but following on from the scrum deep in their own half Warrington’s George Roby made a sixty metre break to score. Riley Dean’s extras brought the game back to 22-18.

Castleford needed a response and it came with a good passing move that ended with a crisp pass to Jordan Bull that allowed him to run into a gap for a well-crafted try. Jake Sweeting failed with the conversion. As before though, Warrington came straight back. A short kick-off saved home blushes only when Warrington lost the ball as they tried to wrestle it down over the try-line.

Castleford stuck to their guns though and kept their shape. They worked a good passing move on the left and Jacob Doyle was released into space, where he found Jake Sweeting inside to sweep over. He converted his own try and with ten minutes left Castleford led 32-18. Warrington weren’t finished though. Refusing to let the ball die they found a strong running Callum Green who squeezed the ball down over the line at full stretch. Riley Dean’s conversion brought the score to 32-24 with five minutes left. Castleford tried a drop goal but Jake Sweeting failed to get much height.

As the game and Castleford’s season was coming to a close a late scuffle erupted when Nathan Carter took exception to some foul play on him. When the teams were separated, he and Warrington’s Joe Barnes were off to the sin bin. The final minute played out with Castleford deservedly on the attack, and the whistle confirmed them 32-24 winners.

An encouraging display from the Tigers at least ended their injury hit season on a positive note and left something to build on for 2020.

Castleford: Jake Sweeting, Jacob Doyle, Kieran Carr, Jordan Bull, Lewis Carr, Joe Fella, Ben Howe, Ninian Donnelly, Shay North, Lewis Peachey, Danny Attley, Robbie Storey, Joe Summers.

Interchanges: Iwan Orr, Nathan Carter, Dom Dyson, Adam Horner

Tries: Jake Sweeting (48,70), Robbie Storey (17,22), Lewis Peachey (6), Jordan Bull (63)

Goals: Jake Sweeting 4 (3 conversions, 1 penalty)

Warrington: Josh Thewlis, Reece Hamlett, Callum Green, Lewis Hall, Aaron Pimblett, Riley Dean, Joe Barnes, Dan Harper, Jamie Abram, Taylor Brown, Ellis Longstaff, Connor Wrench, Cole Oakley

Interchanges: George Roby, Ben Ivory, Karlton Bates, Alex Pendlebury

Tries: George Roby (31,59), Karlton Bates (51), Callum Green (75)

Goals: Riley Dean 4 (4 conversions)

Sin Bin Nathan Carter (Castleford), Joe Barnes (Warrington)


*Match Report by Paul Hampton

Share this article: