Academy take positives from defeat

Posted: Tuesday 7th May 2019 - 11:49 AM

Tony Smith’s outfit put in one of their brightest performances of the campaign so far, and even led the contest at the break, but Huddersfield’s charges proved to be just too strong over the 80-minute stretch.

Ahead of this Thursday’s clash with the City of Hull Academy, the Tigers will take plenty of positives from this one, regardless of the result. Half-back Ritchie Westwood came up with an impressive display in the pivot, Castleford’s middles worked tirelessly for the duration and a number of other individuals caught the eye – notably Jacob Doyle who had an exceptional game on the wing.

The Giants started the contest looking like the stronger side, and it was the hosts who were the first on the board as Logan Simpson went in at the corner after ten minutes.

However, Castleford responded well to the early set-back, slowly but surely gathering up territory and getting on the front foot. A couple of half-chances went begging in the middle part of the first half, but eventually Robbie Storey came up with the breakthrough.

After a smart shift, the ball found its way into the hands of Lewis Carr. Operating at full-back, Carr attacked the line and put boot-to-ball, stunning the Giants’ defence. Storey reacted quickest as the ball trickled into the in-goal, diving on it for the four points.

Four soon became eight a few minutes later, as the Tigers took the lead heading into the break. This time, it was an excellent run from Westwood that laid the platform for the try. With the next play, Joe Fella took on the line and used his strength to barge over.

After the interval, Castleford still had the initiative and – unfazed by the blow of losing Joe Summers to a knock – the Tigers continued to ask questions of the Huddersfield defence.

Ten minutes into the second period, the Giants ran out of answers as Fella crashed over for his second of the afternoon.

At that point, things looked promising for the Tigers but - seemingly stirred into life by the eight-point deficit they now faced – Huddersfield soon hit back.

Over the course of a costly 15-minute period, the Giants reclaimed the momentum and ran in a trio of tries, bypassing the Tigers to claim a ten-point lead.

Castleford put in a big effort to claw the game back in the final ten minutes, but the hosts’ defence proved too strong and Huddersfield came away with the spoils.


Full Time: Castleford Tigers U19 12-22 Huddersfield Giants U19


Castleford Tigers U19

L. Carr, Doyle, Graham, Storey, K. Carr, Fella, Westwood, Dobson, Jinks, Peachey, Bull, Attley, Summers


North, Collinson, Cartwright, Hodgson

Tries: Storey, Fella (2)

Conversion: Graham (0/3)


Huddersfield Giants U19

Senior, Simpson, Tibbs, Young, McGowan, Paga, Pinder, Wilson, Flynn, Michael, Johnson, Copley, Whitmore


Peterkin, Bamber, Mayoh, Schultz

Tries: Simpson, Wilson, Mayoh, Bamber

Conversions: Pinder (3/4)


*Match report by Ross Williams


Share this article: