Tigers Fall In France

Posted: Monday 22nd April 2019 - 6:56 PM

Two tries from Greg Eden and a spirited fightback in the second half saw the Tigers claw back to 25-16 but the Dragons kicked on in the closing stages to claim the two points.

Catalans opened the scoring in the South of France as Julien Bousquet powered his way over the line for a typical front rower’s try.

Tony Gigot crossed next for the Dragons after a passage of play which saw Matt Whitley show why he is becoming a fans favourite in Catalans. The second rower earned a penalty that put his side in an attacking position and then managed to wriggle his arm free to allow his fullback to cross.

With half time approaching, Castleford managed to work up some pressure on the Dragons try line with multiple back to back sets. A well worked run around between Moors and McShane allowed the hooker to slide a grubber kick through for Greg Eden to dot down for the Tigers only points of the half.

Castleford started the brighter of the two side in the second half as Michael Shenton looked to be over the try line but David Mead pulled of a pivotal tackle to haul down the Tigers skipper and prevent the try.

The tackle from Mead proved even more beneficial for the home side as the winger was involved in the game again as the Dragons extended their lead. Mead, with ball in hand, kicked back on the inside. The ball landed in the hands of James Clare but Greg Bird ripped it from the Castleford winger and dived over.

Castleford’s bad luck continued as just before the hour mark, Shenton had to be helped from the field with an ankle injury. One positive however for the Tigers was the debut of promising youngster Lewis Peachey.

After seeing his side go down by one point the last time they played on home turf, Gigot knocked over a drop goal to push the score to 19-4 in favour of the Dragons.

Bousquet crossed for his second try after a slick pass from fellow prop Sam Kasiano. Tomkins continued his form with the boot kicking his fourth conversion.

Immediately from the restart, Castleford bagged their second try of the game as Tomkins tried to bat the ball backwards towards his own try line but the player that reacted fastest was Eden, who scooped the ball up and raced over for the score.

It was a quick fire double for the Tigers as they worked a repeat set and a short break from greg Minkin allowed the centre to put Cory Aston over for his second try in two games.

Any chance of a comeback from the Tigers was extinguished as Tomkins wriggled his arm free and offloaded to Whitley who dotted down.

With just a minute remaining in the game, there was still time for Sam Tomkins to slide over after another offload from the Dragons team.

Castleford Tigers: Mata’utia, Clare, Minikin, Shenton, Eden, Trueman, Aston, Watts, McShane, Smith, Moors, McMeeken, Milner
Castleford Tigers Subs: Clark, Maher, Peachey, Clarkson

Castleford Tries – Eden (2), Aston
Castleford Conversions -  Mata’utia (2/3)

Catalans Dragons: Gigot, Mean, Langi, Williame, Tierney, Bird, Tomkins, Bousquet, Da Costa, Moa, Goudemand, Whitley, Casty
Catalans Dragons Subs: Simon, Baitieri, Kasiano, Edwards

Catalans Tries – Bousquet (2), Gigot, Bird, Whitley, Tomkins
Catalans Conversions – Tomkins (6/6)
Catalans Drop Goal – Gigot

*Photo Courtesy of Melanie Allatt Photography

Share this article: