U19s fall against Warrington

Posted: Sunday 10th March 2019 - 12:27 PM

A sole Brad Graham try denied Warrington’s attempt to keep Castleford scoreless, but that proved to be a rare source of optimism for the Tigers. All-in-all, it became a very tough day at the office for a young side littered with first-year players new to the intensity of the Academy Championship.

Low on troops before the first whistle even sounded, the Tigers were up against it from the get-go, and Warrington wasted little time setting their stall out.

Inside the opening ten minutes, the Wire struck twice, as Nathan Roebuck and towering loose forward Tayler Brown each grabbed a try after capitalising on missed tackles.

These quickfire scores felt like gut-punches early in a fight, and with the Tigers seemingly shell-shocked by the onslaught, the Wolves kept on pounding away. This lead to a Joe Barnes try swiftly after, extending Warrington’s lead to 16 points.

By the end of the first quarter, the deficit was up to 22 – thanks to Brown’s second of the afternoon – and, in truth, the result was already a foregone conclusion.

The Tigers dug in for the rest of the half, despite losing both Bob Jowett and Ben Dobson to injury, and began to put together some pressure of their own. However, the black and amber lacked a clinical edge and were unable to get over the line. This left it up to Warrington to have the final say of the opening 40 and Barnes obliged, scoring under the posts.

With the Tigers unable to produce a meaningful response, the second half mirrored the first with the Wolves scoring twice inside the first ten minutes. Ellis Longstaff came up with the first, before Roebuck snatched his brace. Game star Riley Dean had a hand in both, and he was a constant thorn in Castleford’s side all afternoon from the pivot role.

Warrington struck twice more in the second half via Daniel Harper and Josh Thewlis, adding to the Tigers’ woes, but there was at least something for Castleford to build on at the death.

After taking a beating for the 70 minutes prior, the visitors delved into their reserves and – despite being battered and bruised – came up with their best rugby of the game late on. Midway through a strong Castleford set, the ball found its way to Brad Graham and the young centre – who was a standout for the Tigers in the game, along with Kian Morgan – somehow broke free of his defenders and got the ball over the whitewash.

A small victory of the Tigers in the context of the defeat, but the young side should take heart from their late flourish and throw that attitude into next week’s game.

Full Time: Warrington Wolves U19 48-6 Castleford Tigers U19

Castleford Tigers U19

Priest, Bean, Graham, Collinson, Bannister, Sweeting, Westwood, Fella, Jinks, North, Peachey, Summers, Dobson


Morgan, Attley, Jowett, Hodgson

Tries: Graham

Conversions: Sweeting (1/1)


Warrington Wolves U19

Thewlis, Hall, Roebuck, Oakley, Collins, Dean, Barnes, Wright, Anglin-Sheedy, Chamberlain, Longstaff, Wrench, Brown


Roby, Gannon, Harper, Burgess

Tries: Roebuck (2), Brown (2), Barnes (2), Longstaff, Harper, Thewlis

Conversions: Dean (6/9)

*Match report by Ross Williams

Share this article: