Derby delight for Castleford Tigers Women

Posted: Monday 24th September 2018 - 9:52 PM

Six tries for the Tigers, including a brace for Georgia Roche, was enough to overcome a spirited Featherstone side who led the contest in the opening half an hour. 

Heading into this game, the Tigresses knew that a point was enough to take them to the play-offs. Perhaps the pressure of knowing what was at steak saw them concede a high number of penalties in the opening 30 minutes. 

Featherstone enjoyed a tonne of possession in the opening half an hour but found it hard to break through a resilient Castleford defence. However, on the 30thminute mark, the inevitable happened. 

Another penalty saw Rovers get a fresh set of six inside Castleford’s twenty. The visitors took full advantage, shipped the ball out to the right, and scored through England international Kayleigh Bulman.

As it turns out, this was just the wake-up call that Castleford needed. Only eight minutes later, Alex Wallace received the ball from Snead Peach and powered over 40 meters to cross the whitewash. 

Tara Stanley’s conversion put the home side ahead. From that point on, the hosts never looked back. 

With the referee, Scott Fernandez, about to blow his whistle for half time, the Tigers struck again. This time it was the turn of Emma Lumley to get on the scoresheet with the forward powering her way over the whitewash. 

Another successful kick from Stanley gave Castleford a 12-4 lead at the interval. 

Similarly to the first half, a large part of the second was also scoreless. The capacity crowd was forced to wait until the 60thminute to see Georgia Roche further extend the Tigers’ lead. A thundering break from Kelsey Gentles took the hosts from inside their own 20, deep into Featherstone’s territory. The move was well finished by Roche who five minutes later got her second. 

This time round, Roche produced a spectacular break which saw the youngster travel over 70 meters to score the try. Stanley maintained her perfect conversion rate to take the hosts twenty points clear of Rovers. 

Moments later, Stanley scored a try of her own despite initial doubts from the official. The conversion was just short however, Castleford were now well on course to victory. 

The Tigresses were in full flow however, they were still error prone. The hosts conceded a penalty deep in their won half which gave Rovers a great chance to add to their total. They did just that as Chelsea Senior exploited a gap in the Tigers defence to cross for Featherstone’s second of the game. 

With only a few minutes remaining Castleford ensured the victory with a try from Tamzin Renouf. A fifth conversion from Stanley made the final score 34-8. 

There is one round left of the regular season in the Women’s Super League. While we know the four teams in the semi-finals are Castleford, Wigan, Leeds and St. Helens, we still don’t know who will play who. 

Leeds and Wigan will remain in their first and second position no matter what however, the fight for third goes on. Castleford take on St. Helens next Friday with that third place hanging in the balance. 

Finishing third could play to Castleford’s strengths as it means they would take on Wigan away in the semi-final. A defeat to Saints would mean fourth place and a trip to Leeds Rhinos, a side which has had Castleford’s number this season. 


Castleford Tigers Women    34

Tries: Alex Wallace, Emma Lumley, Georgia Roche (2), Tara Stanley, Tamzin Renouf

Goals: Tara Stanley 5/6 


Featherstone Rovers Ladies     8

Tries: Chelsea Senior, Kayleigh Bulman 

Goals: Katie Hepworth 0/2


Att. 200

Stadium: Mend-A-Hose Jungle

Referee: Scott Fernandez 

Share this article: